Thursday, May 24, 2012

Plenty To Dish...Intro

I never thought I'd end up on a dating site. Firstly, because of the stigma that if you have to meet someone online...well, what happened to all the people you met in person? And secondly, I am what you would call "a social butterfly" who also happens to completely fear account insecurity on the web.This all became irrelevant, however, a few years ago, when a close friend decided that I “was ready to start dating” a few months after a big breakup. So before telling me, she created an account for me, directed the notifications to my email account, and the rest is history. Believe it or not, this has happened twice now, with almost two years in between them. And both times, once the accounts were made, I just thought, "Why not?"

The first attempt was created on a religious dating site since we both swore after our last breakups that we would focus on finding men that shared our religious beliefs. That site resulted in conversations with many fellow Catholics out-of-state, awkward virtual run-ins with friends from many local parishes, and two disappointing first dates with locals I didn’t happen to already know.

One element to the religious website that I thought to be super helpful was the section that specifically let you outline how strong the connection between your faith life and your way of living, because to some, they are one in the same. While others consider church teachings more like guidelines. I’ll leave out which side I personally belonged to (and displayed on my profile). But just imagine having a descriptive drawing of someone’s beliefs and activities, meeting them, and discovering that it was the opposite. How is that helpful for anyone? Me or the guy who put the fake information? The end of that online chapter: ended up dating someone I met at a friends birthday party for a few months.

The second time that my friend decided I wasn’t meeting or going out with enough interesting people, I received a text message with the login and password for the often advertised, Plenty of Fish.
And now, here we are, two months after I first opened the portal to local, online "Fishers." And let me tell you, the site is certainly filled with “fish” of many colors, many breeding and even hunting styles, if you will. From here on out, I will share my personal commentary and actual tales of interaction between myself and the men (and sometimes their significant other). If nothing else, this is for pure entertainment and maybe to serve as a slight reminder to be aware of who you could be conversing with.
 Here we go! And as so many posts end in the inbox field, Happy Fishing!

No comments:

Post a Comment