Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Riddle Me This

I often hear (or read) in first-contact-messages from fellows that "it's always hard figuring out what to say when you message someone first," and I'll admit, I've gotten stuck a few times too. So it's important to pay attention to how people message you and how you feel when you read it to better gauge which approaches come across best.

Well here's a creative approach that I had never considered before. Tell a joke. I proabably wont put it into practice but I find it humorous nonetheless. In fact, I actually really love it when I receive a message from someone that in its entirety is just a riddle question or a good joke. I think it's a very clever approach because if I can't figure out the riddle, I'll totally ponder whether I want to message them back to tell me the answer.

When I began writing this post and putting together the screen shots around Mid-October, I didn't feel that I had enough content. So I started a little experiment. I have nothing incredibly direct on my PoF profile that says what I like or want in a man (hm...that could be my problem?) so I decided, for the sake of this upcoming post, lets try an experiment. So I put in my profile on the last line, just this simple sentence: "Also, I really like jokes and riddles." And the response was.... Therefore, I will divi up this post into the before and after experiment so that you can see how many men thought this approach would work on their own and how many tried this tactic after my ploy.

Part 1: Before The Bait

Early October, I showed this riddle in particular to my friend, Chelsea, and it was so funny how she absolutely refused to close out of the app untl she figured it out. Finally, she settled for Googling it. But I couldn't help but think that this guy seriously almost warranted a response from us that day. In fact, I think that tactic would work on a lot of girls.

Can you figure it out?
I'll give the guy props for originality as he was one of the first to send me a riddle. He also gets a 7/10 points for choosing a rather interesting riddle.

This next guy, Yuri, is one of my favorites. He hasn't written me in a while (probably because I've never responded--maybe I should let him know how much I enjoy his jokes). Now, I fear it may be the end of Yuri Story Time, so instead I'll just relive them by sharing them with you.


Funny & Insightful.


Yuri definitely gets a 10/10 for effort and for having a sense of variety in his joke-telling.
Then there are a few bad joke tellers and I wonder, why decide to use the tactic of joke if it's not going to be a good one? How strange...but maybe that's why you're single. : /


This definitely receives a 0 (on a 1-10 scale...that's pretty bad!) Better luck next time, sir. Maybe buy a joke book before you send a message.

Part 2: After The Bait

A couple of gentlemen have been awarded an automatic 3 points for reading my whole profile and noticing the line where I said I like jokes and riddles. Here is what they came up with:


Thankfully, I was in the car with my cousin Emrie when I received this one and she knew the answer right away (she's the brain in the family). The answer is: a towel. Total score: 8



These were actually pretty cute. Plus he put in the effort to offer multiple. See ladies, ask and you shall receive. Well, maybe this isn't the strongest case for that argument in what to do in a relationship. But nonetheless, total score: 7 (because he didn't have an actual message with his riddles.)



I had to Google the answer and I don't get it. It's: a kiss. Total score: 5


I don't particularly like Blonde Jokes, maybe because I very often am a blonde so I feel like you should judge your audience. Plus this was just a bad joke in general. Total score: 4

What did you think of their riddles? Do you have any better ones?






2 comments:

  1. I'm just really surprised at the quality of the messages in general! You mentioned in an older post that some people take the time to really craft their opening messages. I can't see why these guys don't make the effort to engage you with these jokes.

    For example: Jst____
    This guy, even without an opening line, IN MY OPINION, should have left the answers off. Yes, maybe they're cute, but then what? Does he expect girls to respond with "haha, you're funny! Tell me about yourself!", or is it more likely that they'll smile and post about him in their blogs? Had he left the answers off, it would have at least invited a response of some kind.

    Now I kinda want to make an account...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very good point, Ben. I appreciate that they read my whole profile and tried to come up with a joke, but then they just sort of left their message hanging with no actual introduction of any kind.

      Delete